Skip to main content

Spenser Confidential Trailer Reaction



I don't hate it. There is, of course, the camp who say this isn't Spenser, but I think the trailer shows a balance of action and comedy, as the books do. Robert Urich's and Joe Mantegna's performances largely lacked the books' humor.

I also note three telling lines of dialogue. The first line of the trailer, "Whaddya say, Spense?" had me thinking, Buckle up. He hates being called Spense. Sure enough it came to blows. That's a detail only a reader of the books would get.

"...they framed me" puts to rest fears Spenser's character had radically changed to a felon.

And finally, "You were going to do what was right, with your strong moral code."

Is this the Spenser in the books? No, but the movie looks to depict the books' backstory--Spenser's police career, his meeting Hawk--as more recent events. Fine with that, I look forward to watching and discussing.

Join my Matrix public chatroom Fans of Robert B. Parker.

Comments