Skip to main content

What I'm Watching

I cut out cable TV more than a year ago in favor of a smart TV with built-in Roku streaming device. In addition to free, ad-supported streaming channels, I get the handful my aerial antenna can receive, and I watch some programs available on TV network websites. Here's what I'm watching this season. Feel free to comment on these shows or tell me what you're watching.

Batwoman - I'm intrigued by The CW's look at the Batman legend from a lesbian perspective. I was familiar with the Batwoman character from the 2016 DC animated DVD movie Batman: Bad Blood, where she was voiced by Yvonne Strahovski (NBC's Chuck, Showtime's Dexter). This TV version is run by my favorite Smallville writer, Caroline Dries.

NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans - Some life was injected into the two older shows with the appearances of Cote de Pablo and JAG actors David James Elliott and Catherine Bell respectively. Stunt casting at its finest. Meanwhile, I'm glad a Scott Bakula show has passed 100 episodes.

FBI - I've been a fan of lead actress Missy Peregrym since The CW's Reaper. I watched most of last season's episodes. This season seems a little more relaxed now that the show is a hit.

Stumptown - Based on a graphic novel series by Greg Rucka, Cobie Smulders stars as hard-living veteran-turned Oregon P.I. Dex Parrios. The role brings out Smulders' dramatic and action chops. Its only weakness is the timeslot that most recently killed Whiskey Cavalier, Wednesday, 10 PM.

Nancy Drew - This show premiered October 9, but has my interest for its take on the iconic amateur sleuth.

Magnum P.I. - I'm a fan of the original Magnum. I own the complete DVD set. I also have nothing against this reboot. It seems to be playing with the formula while homaging the original just enough. Most recently, Magnum and former MI6 agent Juliet Higgins have become P.I. partners.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan - I thought the first season of this Amazon Prime show perfectly updated Clancy's characters and tone for today. Season 2 premieres November 1 and apparently follows the book Clear and Present Danger closely for those who thought Season 1 took too many liberties.

Comments

Art Taylor said…
What did you think of Nancy Drew? We watched the first episode and had some issues. It just seemed like too many conflicts in too many directions and with Nancy a little too melodramatic in the middle of it all. Curious about other reactions--and need to check out these others here too!
Gerald So said…
I agree there were a lot of threads to follow. I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I expect it will take some time for the writers to find which threads work best. Fortunately, The CW usually gives shows time to find their groove. Good to see you here, Art. :)