Skip to main content

2019 Derringer Finalist Jim Doherty

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 4, the Society announced the finalists for its 2019 Derringer Awards. A vote of the membership will determine the winners, to be announced in May.

In the meantime, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Jim Doherty
Jim Doherty is a finalist for Best Novelette (ranges 8,001–20,000 words) with "The Adventure of the Manhunting Marshal" written under the pseudonym Peter Basile in Volume 11 of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

It's revealed, for the first time, that among Sherlock Holmes's activities during the "Great Hiatus" was serving as a Deputy US Marshal in Judge Parker's court. His old partner from that time comes to London on the trail of a western desperado who's taken over London's underworld, and asks for Holmes's help.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

Most difficult: Trying to accurately replicate Watson's (i.e. Sir Arthur's) style, and trying to mesh all the historical details with the details of Holmes's and Watson's life as it is given in the Original Canon.

Most enjoyable: Just being able to immerse myself in a universe I have loved since I was in the Fourth Grade. I'm also going to be a guest writer for an upcoming sequence in the Dick Tracy comic strip. Holmes is the most famous detective in fiction, and Tracy comes a very close second. And I get to write stories about both of them, and get paid for it. What could be better?

Do you have a juicy story about how your story came to be published?

Not juicy, really. Fairly typical, I imagine. My brother cop (and brother mystery writer), Mike Black, had contributed to one of the earlier volumes in Airship 27's Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective anthologies. At a convention, Mike introduced me to the editor of the series, Ron Fortier, and told him I'd be a good fit for the Holmes series. On Mike's recommendation, Ron invited me to contribute.

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

Oh, boy, I'm still sailing! I've won a Spur from WWA, but that was for a true-crime article. I was a finalist for a CWA Dagger, but that was for a novel. Those were both high points in my writing career. Just having a chance to write about the most famous and influential character in all of crime fiction was a huge treat. Having it recognized as one of the five best mystery novelettes of 2018 was beyond my wildest dream.

Comments