Skip to main content

2019 Derringer Finalist James Blakey

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 4, the Society announced the finalists for its 2019 Derringer Awards. A vote of the membership will determine the winners, to be announced in May.

In the meantime, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

James Blakey
James Blakey is a finalist for Best Flash Story (ranges up to 1,000 words) with "The Bicycle Thief" originally published in The Norwegian American September 21, 2018.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a crime-ridden city, a broke graduate student attempts to retrieve her stolen bicycle.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

Getting the voice right for my protagonist, and whittling down the words to under 1,000.

Do you have a juicy story about how your story came to be published?

Nothing particularly juicy. Two of my friends in Philadelphia had their bikes stolen about the time I was writing this story.

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

I am humbled to be included amongst so many terrific writers.

Comments