Skip to main content

2019 Derringer Finalist Gigi Pandian

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 4, the Society announced the finalists for its 2019 Derringer Awards. A vote of the membership will determine the winners, to be announced in May.

In the meantime, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Gigi Pandian
Gigi Pandian writes locked-room mystery short stories in between her novels. She is a finalist in the Best Novelette category (ranges from 8,001 to 20,000 words) with her latest short, "The Cambodian Curse," first published by Henery Press as the lead story in her October 2018 collection of impossible crime stories, The Cambodian Curse & Other Stories.

Describe your story in up to 20 words.

A supposedly cursed sculpture disappears from an impenetrable museum and its owner is killed by an invisible assailant. But how?

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

I love coming up with puzzles that have a twist ending. I enjoy writing short stories in between novels, because the fun of the puzzle can take center stage, which exercises a different part of my brain. Coming up with an idea that works is both the challenge and the joy of writing locked-room mystery stories.

Do you have a (juicy) story about how your story came to be published?

In late 2017, my husband and I were traveling in Cambodia. I’d always wanted to visit, and it was also a research trip for my next Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery. While exploring an ancient temple that's off the beaten path, a guide took us through some rough terrain—and I broke my ankle! While I rested for a couple of days with my ankle elevated, I began writing “The Cambodian Curse.”

My next full-length novel was due to Henery Press the following year, but in the meantime I sent them this story. They loved it, and published it as the lead story my locked-room mystery story collection. (And yes, I still had a great time on that trip.)

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

I’m still pinching myself to find “The Cambodian Curse” as a Derringer finalist alongside this terrific group of authors and stories. I’ve always loved reading locked-room mysteries, so it’s a thrill that mystery readers are enjoying my contribution to the genre.

Comments