Skip to main content

2019 Derringer Finalist Barb Goffman

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 4, the Society announced the finalists for its 2019 Derringer Awards. A vote of the membership will determine the winners, to be announced in May.

In the meantime, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Barb Goffman
Barb Goffman has two stories contending for the Best Long Story Derringer (stories ranging 4,001 to 8,000 words): "The Case of the Missing Pot Roast" from Florida Happens and "Till Murder Do Us Part" from the 2018 Chesapeake Crimes anthology.

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"The Case of the Missing Pot Roast": Focused on her ailing husband, Bev disregards strange happenings at her home. Will she wizen up before it's too late?

"Till Murder Do Us Part": While investigating a murder in her rural county, Sheriff Ellen Wescott deals with boiling heat, flaring tempers, and exploding cows.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the stories?

For "Pot Roast," the most difficult part was coming up with a workable plot. I originally envisioned a much darker story involving a missing cat, but as I started writing the story, I couldn't do it. I couldn't write what I had planned for the cat. So the plot had to morph. I'm so grateful for a friend who suggested changing the cat to a pot roast, which lightened the tone immensely. As to the most enjoyable part, I loved bringing all these characters, and especially my main character, Bev, to life. They all feel very real to me and gave this story heart.

For "Till Murder," I had to do research about exploding cows. That was fun and disgusting at the same time. And then I had to find a way to use the cows in a lighthearted manner while also making clear that exploding cows aren't funny to the people who lose them and the ones who have to deal with them.

Do you have (juicy) stories about how your stories came to be published?

It's not juicy, but I'd been trying to come up with a story idea for weeks for the Bouchercon anthology. Maybe five days before the deadline, I woke up with the main character's voice in my head. That led me to the cat idea (see above). So I started writing, but I ran into the cat problem (see above again). It was four days before the deadline when the pot roast solution came about (once more, see above!). Then I wrote madly, got the story done in three days, and submitted it a day before the deadline. Whew. (Journalism training pays off!)

I don't have anything juicy about "Till Murder Do Us Part" either. But I will mention that the story wasn't accepted by the first place I submitted it to. That rejection resulted in revision and more revision and even more revision after it was finally accepted. I hope sharing this information helps anyone dealing with rejection. Just because someone rejects your work doesn't mean you can't revise and eventually find it a home--and maybe get an award nomination.


How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

The term wonderful captures it. Considering how many great stories are published each year, I'm honored to have received this recognition for my two stories this year.

Comments

Tonette Joyce said…
Congrats again, Barb and yes, that helps. I really need to revise a story that came back to me from my top-of-the-line, first-choice publication. I knew as soon as I sent it that I should have cut the details.
I wish you continued success!
Barb Goffman said…
I'm glad, Tonette. Good luck with revisions. And thanks too.