Skip to main content

2018 Derringer Finalist Stephen D. Rogers

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 15, the Society announced the finalists for its 2018 Derringer Awards. Members are voting to determine the winners, to be announced May 15.

In the meantime, as I did last year, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Stephen D. Rogers
"The Bank Job" is the eighth Derringer finalist to Stephen D. Rogers' credit over the years, and could be his third Derringer winner.

Contending for the 2018 Best Short Story Derringer (1,001–4,000 words), it appeared in Trigger Warning Short Fiction with Pictures March 16, 2017.

Describe your story in up up 20 words.

A bank teller discovers more change than she expected in the rejection tray.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

I enjoy writing tight, and I had to allow a section of "The Bank Job" to get loose in order to set up a twist. That was difficult.

Do you have a (juicy) story about how your story came to be published?

Trigger Warning Short Fiction with Pictures commissions an original piece of art to go with published stories, and the writer is sent the work (by John Skewes). How cool is that?

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

I don't consider myself a finalist. It's the story that's being recognized, and what is story but character? This is how I think my character would answer the question: "I like the idea of being called a finalist. It sounds as if it's almost over."

Comments