Skip to main content

2018 Derringer Finalist Patricia Dusenbury

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 15, the Society announced the finalists for its 2018 Derringer Awards. Members are voting to determine the winners, to be announced May 15.

In the meantime, as I did last year, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Patricia Dusenbury
Patricia Dusenbury is up for the Best Flash Derringer (Up to 1,000 words) for her Flash Bang Mysteries story "Cold Turkey".

Describe your story in up to 20 words.

A man in love gives up smoking and discovers his best friend cannot be trusted.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

Difficult: telling a story in 750 words. Enjoyable: telling a story in 750 words. Flash fiction is fun and challenging, especially for someone who started writing novels and has more recently tried writing short fiction.

Do you have a (juicy) story about how your story came to be published?

I was checking out a fellow SMFS member because...My first novel won the 2015 EPIC award for best ebook mystery. The sequel was a finalist in 2016, when BJ Bourg won. In 2017, there were three finalists, BJ Bourg, me for my third book, and another writer (who went on to win). Who, I wondered, is BJ Bourg? Google revealed he was not only a writer but also the publisher of Flash Bang Mysteries. I had this idea for a flash mystery. BJ published it. So, although we've never met, I have to say, "Thank you."

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

I'm thrilled to be in such distinguished company. And encouraged.

Comments