Skip to main content

2017 Derringer Finalist Herschel Cozine

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

Herschel photographed
by Shelly Dickson Carr

Herschel Cozine won Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words) with "The Phone Call", originally published in the Summer 2016 issue of Flash Bang Mysteries.

Describe your story in up to 20 words.

A man gets a threatening and troubling phone call. He manages to turn the tables on the caller.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

This story wrote itself. It is the result of an idea I had held for many years, so when I decided to write it I had already done so many times. The entire process was accomplished in one sitting, with a few minor changes. I only wish this were the case more often.

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

Being a Derringer finalist is a heady feeling. I had a story nominated several years ago [2008 -Ed.], and although it didn't win, I have always been grateful for the honor of being in the top five. I am sure this time will be the same, although I am hoping for a different result!

Comments

Earl Staggs said…

I remember your story, Herschel, and thought it was great. Good luck in the voting.