Skip to main content

Harry Hunsicker


(photo ©2006 Martin Rogers)

Monday, August 14, 2006

Participants


g_so: Gerald So
harryhunsicker: Harry Hunsicker
macavityabc: Bill Crider

g_so: I'm sorry I missed you at Black Orchid last month.

harryhunsicker: I actually had people show up which amazed me. And they bought books.

g_so: That's great. Looking forward to reading THE NEXT TIME YOU DIE.

macavityabc entered the room.

macavityabc: Hey, guys.

harryhunsicker: Heya, Bill.

macavityabc: Looking forward to stimulating and informative chat with famous writer.

g_so: We have an advance question from Dave White, who wants to know how you approach staying true to P.I. roots while trying to take things in a new direction.

g_so: Hi, Bill.

macavityabc: Hi, Gerald

harryhunsicker: Short answer: I dunno. Long answer: I make sure there is a identifiable client. Because that's the heart of the PI story, getting hired to fix, find, stop something.

g_so: I agree. Your YouTube entries are great, Bill.

macavityabc: Thanks, Gerald. They're fun. Harry was the star of one.

harryhunsicker: I'm gonna have to get on of those video snap-and-shoot thingies. Citizen journalist!

g_so: :)

macavityabc: They're great. Dangerous, too. The opening shot of one of the Lansdale ones I did last weekend has him with his mouth open. Typical pose, though.

macavityabc: I just read Lord Vishnu's Love Handles, and I see that the author was in a writing group with you, Harry. That must have been some weird bunch.

harryhunsicker: I just got off the phone with WIll Clarke actually. He and I talk three or four times a week about the publishing biz. And yes, our group is eclectic. We have a good time though.

harryhunsicker: If getting published is a one in a million shot, then his story is a one in ten million.

macavityabc: Okay, so what's the story?

harryhunsicker: Will self-published VISHNU. He optioned the movie rights to a guy for a modest amount of money and promptly forgot about it. A few months later the guy called and said he had placed it at Paramount and could he please send a copy of the book to Brad Pitt's manager. Will got a deal immediately thereafter with Simon & Schuster and has since sold the rights to his second book to another producer.

macavityabc: That's a great story. Thanks. Tell us more about that writing group. How long has it been going?

harryhunsicker: I am a relative newcomer, maybe a member since 2002. Will and a couple of other core members took a class together at SMU in 1995 or 1996 and that started the group. We've had four publishing success stories to date. We meet once a week at a steakhouse and read and critique.

macavityabc: So you'd recommend a writing group?

harryhunsicker: I would recommend a good one, which is easy to say but hard to create. I owe a great deal to my group that's for sure.

g_so: Bryon Quertermous says hi, Harry, and asks you to send a story to Demolition sometime.

harryhunsicker: Tell Bryon I would be honored.

g_so: will do.

macavityabc: How far along are you in Lee O. #3?

harryhunsicker: I am finished with Oswald 3, tentatively titled CROSSHAIRS.

macavityabc: Hey, being finished is good.

harryhunsicker: What did you think of VISHNU?

macavityabc: I liked Vishnu a lot. I was in the mood for wild and crazy, been reading a lot of that sort of thing lately. I want to read his new one, too.

harryhunsicker: THE WORTHY is a guy's version of THE LOVELY BONES.

macavityabc: I told a group at Armadillocon that I suspected THE WORTHY was pretty much a LOVELY BONES riff.

macavityabc: So are you started on #4? Or should I ask?

harryhunsicker: My contract is for three. I am finishing the final polish on three and will send it off next week. We'll see where we are on No. 4 after that.

macavityabc: They might want you to do a standalone. They seem to like that sort of thing lately.

g_so: I like that there doesn't seem to be a theme to your series titles, Harry.

harryhunsicker: Gerald, that's more by accident than by design. Titles are one of the hardest parts it seems.

g_so: I see. Themed titles tend to blur together, though.

harryhunsicker: I wanted to call No. 3 the DALINCI MODE but they shot me down. Didn't like the second choice either. What's wrong with calling the BIBLE? Huh?

g_so: :)

g_so: How far ahead do you have the Oswald series planned, Harry?

macavityabc: There are no copyrighted titles, so those guys are nuts. Olivia Goldsmith used THE NUMBER ONE BEST SELLER. I thought that was a good one.

harryhunsicker: I have two story ideas in mind. I'm not sure how they play out in terms of Hank Oswald's character arc though.

g_so: Hmm.

harryhunsicker: My thoughts exactly.

macavityabc: You started out writing "literary" fiction, right?

harryhunsicker: Well sort of. I wrote a hundred really really bad pages about a guy named Bob. Bob was very boring. I killed him. Things worked better after that.

macavityabc: Are you a long-time reader of mysteries, or did you read books about guys like Bob?

harryhunsicker: That's the funny thing. I rarely read literary fiction. My library is equally divided between PI fiction and thrillers, Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, etc. When I started to write, the fact that I read exclusively in these genres flew out of my mind. I guess I thought "genre" stuff wasn't important enough and that I should concentrate of fiction that "mattered." Or something. Boy, am I glad I got over that.

macavityabc: Me too. How about your writing process: outline or wing it?

harryhunsicker: Outline. At least for the last two. The publisher wanted to know where I was headed which I can't really blame them for.

harryhunsicker: How about you? Do you outline?

macavityabc: I don't outline unless I'm forced. Occasionally I've been forced. How about your outlines? Long or short?

harryhunsicker: Short.

macavityabc: My theory is the shorter, the better, but I've had to do up to 30 pagers. I pad those out by giving them a two or three page "cast of characters." Haven't had to do that in a long time.

macavityabc: Any movie deals in the works?

harryhunsicker: Nope. I wish.

macavityabc: Ever do any screenwriting?

harryhunsicker: I bought the software because I have this idea for a movie but I have yet to type one word of a screenplay.

g_so: How do you feel Hank has developed from Still River to The Next Time You Die, if at all, Harry?

harryhunsicker: He has a crisis of conscience in NEXT TIME, forcing him to examine who he is and what he is doing with his life.

g_so: Nice.

harryhunsicker: Damn, that sounded literary. I need to quit talking while I'm ahead.

macavityabc: Nah, that literary stuff always wows 'em.

harryhunsicker: How hot is in South Texas, Bill? It's a 147 degrees in Dallas right now.

macavityabc: It's only in the middle 90s here. We get that cool Gulf breeze. What about that P.I. fiction in your library? Hammett, Chandler, and . . . ?

harryhunsicker: Robert Crais. Rick Riordan. Lehane. Pelecanos. All of the Travis McGee books though it's been a while. Of course Robert B. Parker.

harryhunsicker: Lee Child though technically he's not a PI writer.

harryhunsicker: Ken Bruen too. I've got PRIEST on my night stand right now, waiting to be started.

macavityabc: I had to buy the British edition of PRIEST. Couldn't wait.

macavityabc: I hate to say it, but Parker's latest, BLUE SCREEN, pretty much bites the moose.

g_so: A lot of people have said that, Bill.

harryhunsicker: I haven't read it but the phrase "bites the moose" has just earned a spot in my top ten.

macavityabc: There are a couple of serious blunders that any copy-editor would have caught. I don't think he's edited any longer. "Bites the moose" is from Lansdale, by the way. I took it from him years ago.

harryhunsicker: I was sorry to hear about ConMisterio. I thought they had a good enough turnout to make money.

macavityabc: When did you decide you wanted to write? And why?

harryhunsicker: I have always wanted to write because I have always been a huge reader. I got serious about it as my 40th birthday approached.

macavityabc: I guess there aren't many, if any, writers who aren't readers. All the ones I know are. Not all of them have my serious book-accumulating problem, though.

harryhunsicker: My father-in-law has a book collection that defies description, most of it non-fiction however. He has quite a few colllectibles.

g_so: One of the things that makes Hank stand out in my mind is he's a lousy shot. And yet he's a Ranger. Do you know of any real Rangers who are lousy shots?

g_so: Brian (son of Alexander) Haig's character is also a Ranger with poor aim.

harryhunsicker: I don't know any real Rangers, I don't think. I did that to make him different I guess. I get tired of the crack shot, etc.

macavityabc: I love those collectors. And speaking of lousy shots, do you have to reasearch the weaponry in the books, or are you a gun guy?

harryhunsicker: I know a lot about guns but I did do some research.

harryhunsicker: Brian Haig is Alexander's son?

g_so: yes.

harryhunsicker: What books has he written?

g_so: He writes military legal thrillers, Secret Sanction, Mortal Allies, The Kingmaker. His protag is Army JAG lawyer and Special Forces guy Sean Drummond.

g_so: The books have improved in quality as he's gone along.

macavityabc: Lots of sons getting into the act. Joe Hill is Stephen King's son, I've heard, and his son Owen writes, too.

harryhunsicker: That will happen if you're not careful. Jesse Kellerman. Chris Rice too.

macavityabc: Right. Must be genetics.

harryhunsicker: I watched the new Gene Simmons reality show the other night. Gene was pushing his 17-year-old son to be a rock start. Funny stuff.

macavityabc: My son was influenced by Kiss. He'd love to be Gene Simmons' son. You're still working full-time, right? If so, when do you write?

harryhunsicker: Yes, I work full time, write and tour and promote. The last two months have been seven days a week. I write in the evenings and on weekends, as Maya Angelou says "On the fringes of the day."

macavityabc: Ever get tired of those guys who say, "I'd write a book if I had time."

harryhunsicker: Hehehe. That and here's an idea for your next book!

g_so: People with those ideas should write their own books.

macavityabc: I have a guy who used to teach for me. Calls me all the time to complain about not having time to write like I do. I don't tell him I wrote 50 or 60 books while I had a job. I guess I should.

harryhunsicker: Gerald, what do you have in the works, writing-wise?

harryhunsicker: Bill, what do you do now with all your free time?

macavityabc: Play on eBay and do the blog! Drives Judy nuts.

g_so: well, my plans for a book haven't panned out so far, but I'm writing poems right now. Working that side of creativity. Funny, I want to write a book, and poems come out.

macavityabc: My first publications were poems. I even got paid money for a couple of them.

harryhunsicker: I had no idea either of you did poetry. Interesting. The best I can come up with a riff on "There once was a man from Nantucket."

g_so: I didn't know I would write poetry until five years after college.

g_so: I'm hoping to write a book with my 1930s Grumman Goose pilot protag.

harryhunsicker: You teach English, right?

g_so: Yes.

macavityabc: There are almost as many English teachers writing mysteries and thrillers are there are lawyers.

macavityabc: I never could do limericks. I gave up the poetry when I started selling books. Your novel sounds great, Gerald. James Reasoner did an "air war" pulp-style story for Lansdale's RETRO PULP TALES.

g_so: Oh, thanks, Bill. I was having doubts about whether it would sell.

macavityabc: You never know what will sell. As an editor told me once, "Sometimes God smiles."

harryhunsicker: Did Reasoner do any other PI novels other than TEXAS WIND. I read that a couple of years ago and was blown away at how much I liked it.

g_so: Me, too.

macavityabc: That's Reasoner's only P.I. novel. He's pretty much writing westerns and historicals exclusively now. But he did a Hard Case Crime style novel that Wildside's going to publish. Someday.

g_so: I'd like to invite him to chat with DT.

harryhunsicker: Yeah, that would be great. He writes a lot of words every year.

g_so: I think he's on the group. joined when we discussed Texas Wind.

harryhunsicker: Love his blog. "Today I wrote a novella. Tomorrow I start on my seventh book of the year."

macavityabc: James writes a book every two weeks, I think.

harryhunsicker: They tell me Bob Randisi does that too.

macavityabc: I wrote one in 17 days once. That remains my record. Randisi may be the only person who writes faster than James. He has a couple of "big" mystery novels in the pipeline.

harryhunsicker: How on earth did you write a book in three weeks? I mean how long was it? How much revision did it need?

macavityabc: How long does a book take you, Harry?

harryhunsicker: Six to eight months.

harryhunsicker: I started No. 3 in February. Finished the first draft last week.

g_so: Have revisions ever taken longer than the book itself.

g_so: That's a q for either of you.

harryhunsicker: Not for me.

g_so: I wouldn't think they would, but that got me curious.

macavityabc: My method is simple. I revise daily. Then when I'm done, I'm done. The book gets read again, but I never make any changes. So far, I've never had to make many changes dictated by an editor. I write what they call "clean copy." Or so I've been told.

harryhunsicker: Joe Konrath says he does his in four to six weeks. But he has a pretty extensive outline.

macavityabc: Maybe I'd be faster if I had an extensive outline. I just hate outlining.

g_so: Outlining too heavily seems anti-creative.

macavityabc: I agree.

harryhunsicker: Yeah, it does to me too.

g_so: I'd rather use that energy finding out what the book was about.

macavityabc: Right. But it does slow things down, and it's pretty scary to be on a deadline with no idea where you're going or how you're going to get there.

harryhunsicker: Yes, that's the good thing about outlines. Deadlines aren't as spooky.

g_so: Yes, which is why a lot of writers like to know the beginning and the end, but not the middle in advance. That strikes me as a good way to go. I'm going to try that tack next.

macavityabc: It doesn't matter how many times you've written a book, either. It's still scary, like working without a net.

harryhunsicker: You mean it doesn't get easier?? Arrgh!

macavityabc: Maybe it gets easier. But no less scary.

macavityabc: At least for me.

macavityabc: Do you have a schedule, like so many pages a day, or so many hours a day?

harryhunsicker: I try to write a scene everytime I sit down. That rarely works but that's what I try to do.

g_so: I've tried that, too. It's a good goal.

macavityabc: Sounds good to me. Lansdale writes a certain number of pages. So does Parker. That's what I try to do, too. It usually works, but I've been doing it for a while.

g_so: I'm a bit too conscious of word- and page count, though I go for completeness in any case, regardless of count.

macavityabc: By the way, Gerald, don't tell your students if you don't outline. I never told mine.

g_so: No, no, me neither. :)

harryhunsicker: Me too. That's why my third book is only sixty pages long. I don't think my publisher will mind.

macavityabc: I hear they're looking for shorter books. Saves paper.

g_so: :)

g_so: Outlines have worked best for me in nonfiction.

macavityabc: Me too. I try to outline stuff like that. It's about ten times harder for me to write, too.

g_so: I guess we should wrap up. Great chatting with you again.

macavityabc: Yeah, this was fun. I guess it's about my bedtime. We old guys need our rest.

harryhunsicker: My wife is giving me the evil eye. Says it's time for me to take her to dinner. Or else. I enjoyed it very much.

macavityabc: Tell her, "Or else, what?" Then run.

macavityabc: I'm signing off now. Thanks, Harry.

harryhunsicker: Night, all. Enjoyed visiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Derringer Finalist Hilde Vandermeeren

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

The 2017 Derringers were open to works whose first English translations were published in 2016. Belgian children's, YA, and adult psychological thriller author Hilde Vandermeeren's Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words) contender "The Lighthouse" was translated from Flemish by the SMFS's Josh Pachter, and appeared in the March/April 2016 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. Josh also kindly translated this interview to and from Flemish.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a lighthouse on an island far from shore, a man suspects that his wife is trying to kill him. (20 words!)

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writi…

2017 Derringer Finalist O'Neil De Noux

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

A 2009 Derringer winner, O'Neil De Noux is a five-time finalist after his stories contending in two categories this year, for Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words), published in Flash Bang Mysteries, "A Just Reward", and for Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words), published in The Strand Magazine, "Effect on Men".

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"A Just Reward": A man tries to pull a fast one to collect a reward. He underestimates the police and there’s a reckoning.

“Effect on Men”: Patricia has "this effect on men" and draws a private detective into a murder plot, leaving him with a hard choice.

What were the most d…

Patricia Abbott talks CONCRETE ANGEL

On sale June 9 from Polis books:

Evil doesn’t always live next door. Sometimes it lives right in your own home.

Eve Moran has always wanted “things,” her powers of seduction impossible to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. And over the course of her life, she has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping whatever such things catch her eye, whether they are jewelry, money, or men. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and is even willing to take a life, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her and depend on her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her family’s blood. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan, begins to prove useful to her mother, and Christine sees a horrific pattern repeating itself, that she finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

An atmosphe…