Skip to main content

Bryon Quertermous



Sunday, July 23, 2006

Participants

lunchboxhero007:
Bryon Quertermous
MWhite8482: Dave White
Odo6140: Gerald So

MWhite8482: So how did you come up with the idea for the story, Bryon?

lunchboxhero007: The idea for the story actually came from PEOPLE magazine

Odo6140: hmmm...

MWhite8482: do tell

lunchboxhero007: it was a story about a kid who stole a collectable rifle from a friends dad and sold it to buy drugs and the dad actually went looking for it and found it and got the judge to lessen his sentence

lunchboxhero007: the dad went mainly looking in the suburbs but I started thinking about what would happen if he had to go into the nastier neighborhoods to look for it

lunchboxhero007: a few months later I was itching to start writing a PI short story because I hadn't done so in almost six years and felt it was time

lunchboxhero007: and I thought that gun might make a nifty macguffin for a PI and rolled with the story from there

MWhite8482: cool.

lunchboxhero007: Mark Farmer (originally Dallas Ellington) came about because I was sick of Kenny Shepard. I had this real young character that was starting to bug me and I knew if I wanted to do a bigger, more complex novel, I would need a more complex character so I thought I could play around in short story form to get a new character

lunchboxhero007: by the time I was done editing the short story, I was well into the novel featuring Dallas Ellington and the two characters weren't at all alike. The short story takes place in Flint, MI and I wanted a Flint PI that I could work with.

Odo6140: I see.

lunchboxhero007: Mark Farner is the vocalist and lead guitarist for the Flint-bred band Grand Funk Railroad and thought the name was a nice tribute since I like naming my characters after musicians.

Odo6140: and also common enough to not necessarily be a reference.

lunchboxhero007: right.

MWhite8482: hmm

lunchboxhero007: I'd like to do more with Mark and explore his character more because I really have no idea what his backstory is. I know hes divorced and has a daughter and was recently fired as a cop and that's it.

Odo6140: and also common enough to not necessarily be a reference.

lunchboxhero007: right

MWhite8482: so what's next for mark then? any idea?

lunchboxhero007: as soon as I'm done editing the first Dallas Ellington novel, I'd like to go back and write another Mark Farner story. Something that deals directly with his past.

MWhite8482: now what's the novel about?

lunchboxhero007: I can tell you're asking questions for the archive and the audience, Dave, because you already know what it's about

MWhite8482: uh. and if i have brainlock?

lunchboxhero007: that probably wouldnt surprise me either.

MWhite8482: not my fault you can't attract a crowd.

lunchboxhero007: so about the novel...The Scars We Carry is about a former child-star from the 80s who tunred to life as a cop after he was scarred in an attack in the early 1990s.

MWhite8482: and?

lunchboxhero007: When a production company comes to Detroit to film a True Hollywood Story-type about Dallas and his new PI agency partner, the producer is killed and it starts to look like its connected to Dallas's attack.

MWhite8482: hmmm I see.

Odo6140: what's your writing process, Bryon, and how does it differ from story to novel?

lunchboxhero007: for novels, I pretty much just try and knock out a first draft blind. I have a vague idea about the story and just start writing, discovering the plot as I go along.

Odo6140: hmm.

lunchboxhero007: the same thing goes for shorts as well, though I sometimes have an ending in mind

MWhite8482: endings, huh?

lunchboxhero007: I didnt write short stories for a period of about six years, four of which I spent rewriting my first novel LUNCHBOX HERO, from scratch about six different times

MWhite8482: ouch six times?

Odo6140: I see.

lunchboxhero007: I only got back into them in the last couple of years to try and hone my writing skills and work on my endings. I find short stories are much more reliant on a successful ending and my first few tries out of the gate proved it

lunchboxhero007: yeah, Im a slow learner

Odo6140: doing fine from where I stand.

lunchboxhero007: thanks

MWhite8482: so what's on the agenda for mr. q

lunchboxhero007: much of the sucess of Mr Saturday Night Special is due to the extensive editing it got under Gerald's eye while it went through the submission process at a different magazine

lunchboxhero007: I've never really been much of a rewriter on short stories so this helped me turn my brain that way and carried over into the next couple stories I wrote after it.

Odo6140: Oh, glad to help. I have to rewrite everything.

MWhite8482: Gerald just re-wrote that post.

lunchboxhero007: next up is hopefully the revisions for the novel. I have a story called "Murder Boy" out on submission to Neil Smith for his post-modern pulp issue of the Mississippi Review

Odo6140: cool.

lunchboxhero007: and I'll have a story out next year in Detroit Noir from Akashic Books (hopefully)

Odo6140: what's the status of Demolition?

lunchboxhero007: it's in the can write now and should be live later this evening

Odo6140: oh, good.

MWhite8482: detroit nnoooiiirrrrrrrrr nice

Odo6140: there really should be a NJ Noir.

MWhite8482: Jersey NOIR

lunchboxhero007: yeah I'm very excited about that, but trying hard not to get too excited until contracts are signed and everything

MWhite8482: ah yes contracts

lunchboxhero007: there's a bunch of places that could still be tapped. if everything goes through, this will be my first piece of paid fiction.

Odo6140: neat.

lunchboxhero007: okay, what other questions are there?

Odo6140: what/who were your influences?

lunchboxhero007: well until late in junior high, I was mostly a science fiction fan and that came across in my early writing. I read a bunch of fantasy stuff, too, but the dual discovery of Robert Parker and Robert Crais forever turned me into a crime writer.

MWhite8482: how'd you come across them?

lunchboxhero007: my uncle John who is the only other writer I knew growing up. he's an amateur sci-fi writer and was very encouraging to me. He gave me my first two typewriters and a bunch of books.

Odo6140: cool.

lunchboxhero007: hes the main reason why I started off writing sci-fi at first even though I really didnt have a knack for it

lunchboxhero007: hes also the one who turned me on to Michael Connelly

lunchboxhero007: and graphic novels which were a huge influence as well

MWhite8482: interesting new tidbit of info about Bryon

lunchboxhero007: which one? btw, I'm on a dialup connection at my parents house so dont get too worried if I disappear for a bit at some point

MWhite8482: the John stuff was interesting.

lunchboxhero007: oh right, yeah my uncle rocks, hes getting the dedication in my first book

MWhite8482: not Raymond Embrack?

lunchboxhero007: how about you Gerald? where did your early inspiration come from?

Odo6140: I started by writing espionage stories, basically as a fan of Bond and the Saint, Mission Impossible, U.N.C.L.E. They were barely edited.

lunchboxhero007: interesting, that explains your first novel and CJ Stone

Odo6140: I like period for some reason.

lunchboxhero007: any relatives or friends who encouraged you?

Odo6140: not really. My inspiration was an 8th grade classmate who had a book published in our school library. That switched things on somehow. I didn't realize I would be jealous.

lunchboxhero007: lol, jealousy fuels us all

MWhite8482: so I hear.

lunchboxhero007: I've been much more productive since Dave's news

lunchboxhero007: I do tend to be envious of people, but not so much jealous

lunchboxhero007: my envy does tend to fuel me through the hard patches of writing

lunchboxhero007: so whats everybody reading besides Playboy?

MWhite8482: Immoral by Brian Freeman

Odo6140: Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii.

Odo6140: How is Immoral?

MWhite8482: not bad... just started it yesterday.

Odo6140: I want them to do Firefly books.

lunchboxhero007: I've got a copy of Immoral lying around somewhere

lunchboxhero007: Have you watched any more episodes of Psych, Gerald?

Odo6140: Yeah, I've seen the two so far. Good stuff.

Odo6140: It's good to see a character with no angst.

Odo6140: or at least angst he deals with actively.

MWhite8482: okay guys I gotta go... catch ya later.

Odo6140: Bye, Dave.

Odo6140: Thanks for this, Bryon. Sorry about the low turnout.

lunchboxhero007: no problems, thanks for this opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Derringer Finalist Hilde Vandermeeren

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

The 2017 Derringers were open to works whose first English translations were published in 2016. Belgian children's, YA, and adult psychological thriller author Hilde Vandermeeren's Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words) contender "The Lighthouse" was translated from Flemish by the SMFS's Josh Pachter, and appeared in the March/April 2016 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. Josh also kindly translated this interview to and from Flemish.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a lighthouse on an island far from shore, a man suspects that his wife is trying to kill him. (20 words!)

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writi…

Patricia Abbott talks CONCRETE ANGEL

On sale June 9 from Polis books:

Evil doesn’t always live next door. Sometimes it lives right in your own home.

Eve Moran has always wanted “things,” her powers of seduction impossible to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. And over the course of her life, she has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping whatever such things catch her eye, whether they are jewelry, money, or men. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and is even willing to take a life, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her and depend on her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her family’s blood. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan, begins to prove useful to her mother, and Christine sees a horrific pattern repeating itself, that she finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

An atmosphe…

2017 Derringer Finalist O'Neil De Noux

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

A 2009 Derringer winner, O'Neil De Noux is a five-time finalist after his stories contending in two categories this year, for Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words), published in Flash Bang Mysteries, "A Just Reward", and for Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words), published in The Strand Magazine, "Effect on Men".

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"A Just Reward": A man tries to pull a fast one to collect a reward. He underestimates the police and there’s a reckoning.

“Effect on Men”: Patricia has "this effect on men" and draws a private detective into a murder plot, leaving him with a hard choice.

What were the most d…