Skip to main content

Stephen D. Rogers



Sunday, April 17, 2005

Participants

cc_sdr633:
Stephen D. Rogers
g_so: Gerald So
mysdawg2003: Aldo Calcagno

mysdawg2003: howdy

g_so: Welcome, Aldo.

cc_sdr633: Hey Gerald.

g_so: Do you have a warm-up question for Stephen, Aldo?

mysdawg2003: I'm in between getting the boys organized for their Sunday yard work. I'll be right back. However, Stephen, how much do you write each day?

cc_sdr633: Not enough. I'm scheduled to write two hours on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and try to write on Saturday, schedule permitting.

mysdawg2003: I would guess then you must be an effecient writer based upon what I have seen published.

cc_sdr633: I've tried to become one, rewriting as I write. I once believed that all good writing was rewriting but decided I wasn't getting enough done that way.

g_so: Yes, there comes a time when you have to submit a piece and see what others think of it. With any luck, editors will like it and suggest revisions they want before accepting the piece.

cc_sdr633: Yes, because each editor is often looking for something different in the execution.

g_so: You seem to have a good handle on the markets out there, Stephen. Do you subscribe to a lot of different lists, bulletin boards, etc. to keep current? What are some resources you'd recommend?

cc_sdr633: I can't imagine a better resource than the Short Mystery Fiction Society. http://www.shortmystery.net

g_so: It does seem really active. I read it often, but don't post much.

cc_sdr633: It has changed quite a bit since I first joined but then so has the market. The last few years have seen publications drop like flies. I don't post much either. By the time I catch up with a thread, it's often already been tucked back into place with everything said.

g_so: Right.

cc_sdr633: For markets, I also subscribe to Writing-World.com and WritersWeekly.com and check Ralan.com every few days but none of them really address mysteries.

g_so: I see. g_so: I'm trying to show versatility myself. I've been shopping a mainstream story around for about a year and a half now.

cc_sdr633: To literary journals or mainstream mags?

g_so: To small press lit mags, mostly. Did a drastic edit in February. I hope it does the trick.

cc_sdr633: Good luck. The problem I had with lit mags was the reading periods. It always seemed that when I was ready to submit, no one was reading.

g_so: I've had some of that :)

cc_sdr633: And then I read the Best Of annuals and it seems most of the stories come from lit mags.

g_so: I see you had a story in Thieves Jargon two weeks ago. I had a story pubbed there last month. Good-looking site, and the editor was a pleasure to work with. He pushed me to do a rewrite, then accepted the piece.

cc_sdr633: And I liked the name of the mag. :)

g_so: Me, too. :)

cc_sdr633: (Taps microphone) Is this thing live? I hesitate to sub many stories to Thrilling because I think -- is this story thrilling? Not really. Then send it elsewhere.

g_so: I don't really think of the word "Thrilling" when I read. I just publish polished work that moves well (i.e. begins well, moves efficiently, ends well.) I like engaging characters, too.

mysdawg2003: I'm back. Teenage boys - a lazy lot, I say.

g_so: by definition, though :)

cc_sdr633: Hey, I have a four-year-old. She rakes one pass and then sits to watch ants. My wife and daughter left this morning to go camping with family. Going to write, write, and write more.

g_so: Carpe camping trip.

mysdawg2003: That's what seems to be my problem...life gets in the way. Between work, professional committments, activities for the 6 kids, finding time to stay connected with my wife, where is the time to write.....?

cc_sdr633: Gerald, so you'll probably be seeing something from me in the next few days.

g_so: Looking forward to it, Stephen.

cc_sdr633: That's a real problem Aldo. My output has been miserable this year.

g_so: But writing can be an avocation, too. I find it doesn't matter how much time you devote to writing each day, as long as you devote some.

mysdawg2003: Stephen, how did you get started with writing?

cc_sdr633: It's all I've ever wanted to do.

mysdawg2003: So you have been writing seriously since high school?

cc_sdr633: I put a little book together in second grade, was writing crime fiction in sixth, way before the internet. Seriously but without direction. I knew nothing of the small press and thus chased publications where I didn't stand a chance.

g_so: Same here. Subbed to Story once when I was fresh out of college. What about you, Aldo? When did you come to it?

mysdawg2003: My fiction output is sporatic at best and it tends to be choppy pieces of things that hit me at the moment. I'm at my best when I can find a 4 to six hour chunk of time, like from 10 PM to 2 AM, where no one is interrupting me.

g_so: Maybe you should give flash fiction a try.

cc_sdr633: 10 to 2am is still my favorite time - until my daughter wakes me at 6.

g_so: I write best between 4am and 7am.

cc_sdr633: Gerald, is that before you go to bed or after?

g_so: After. I turn in rather early.

cc_sdr633: Hey, you get a good start on the day and there isn't a lot competing with your time at that time.

g_so: Exactly. The day itself is for busy work :) But actually if a story or poem has grabbed me by 7am, I can go as long as it takes to finish or until I don't have any imagination left in the tank.

cc_sdr633: I once thought I'd never want to write full time. No longer. Unfortunately, my writing schedule is rather rigid, although always available for reduction it seems.

g_so: I'm writing at this point to improve my resume for better jobs.

cc_sdr633: Writing fiction or other kinds of writing?

g_so: All kinds. fiction, poetry. Just had a poem about pizza published.

cc_sdr633: I never mention I write fiction at the job, assuming that people will think writing is more important to me than the job (which it is).

g_so: But co-workers don't need to know that. :)

mysdawg2003: So what is the routine? do you outline? do with the moment? any amount of time spent on research?

cc_sdr633: I don't really outline much. Research depends on the piece. There was one story that I spent an incredible amount of time researching with the intention of sending it to a pub which pays a very small amount.

cc_sdr633: Pizza? Cool. Where did it go?

g_so: I'll get the link. Hold on.

cc_sdr633: Some pieces are research intensive. I was asked to sub to a menopause anthology -- that took some research. ;)

g_so: I bet you pulled it off.

g_so: Gerald's poem => http://www.lunaticchameleon.com/page34.html Any interest in writing a series character, Stephen?

cc_sdr633: Nice poem. Of course now I want pizza for supper. I did have a PI appear in two stories and always imagined a third.

g_so: I see. Thanks for the read.

cc_sdr633: As I think about novels, I assume editors will want to see a series PI. So I've been kicking around some ideas.

g_so: In the couple of stories you've published with Thrilling, I don't think the P.I.s had names. Good luck on the novel front.

cc_sdr633: Ah yes, the name issue. If only Pronzini didn't already have Nameless...

g_so: :)

cc_sdr633: In the poem, who did you picture as the "you" who took the blade away?

g_so: A parent.

mysdawg2003: Stephen, do you have others, meaning close friends, help with the editing of your work? I know you said you rewrite as you write, but do you run it by someone?

cc_sdr633: I almost never run my stuff by others although I'm thinking of joining a group that meets once a week, an hour away.

mysdawg2003: Does your wife ever read it and give you comments

cc_sdr633: Can't not hear Matt Helm ("When I was just starting out, I didn't show my manuscripts to anyone who didn't have the presses to print them and the money to pay me" -- as best as I can remember, Death of a Citizen)

g_so: great quote. I used to show my stuff to college friends, but now I go by my own critique and the editors'

.cc_sdr633: And really, unless readers know the magazines and editors, I'm not sure how much help they can be.

g_so: right.

cc_sdr633: My wife has talked about reading them but I rarely want to wait that long. Then there are the stories she'd probably rather not read.

mysdawg2003: Yes, I know about that! LOL. I gave Tina a few hard-boiled peices to read and she started to wonder who she has been sleeping with all these years, lol

cc_sdr633: The dark sides that become exposed by fiction....

mysdawg2003: why is that ? Is it in our subconscious?

cc_sdr633: I'm not sure. I was the quiet, bookworm student, showing the English teacher my story which starts with the main character beating someone to death with a pool cue, asking if I got everything right.

g_so: I find there has to be a reason for characters to be hard-boiled, or behave in any way for that matter, or it rings false.

cc_sdr633: There is a lot of false hard-boiled out there.

g_so: Example A: Sin City.

cc_sdr633: Didn't read/see it. Not worth my time, even by rental?

g_so: Well, you may enjoy it. I thought it was okay for a first view. Don't know that I'd see it again. All the characters had long-winded voiceovers.

cc_sdr633: If it's not worth watching a fifth time, it's not worth watching once.

mysdawg2003: I liked how it was filmed. The style of the film.

g_so: and I was thinking, why do the characters have to explain everything they're doing? Just let me watch.

cc_sdr633: The visuals appear stunning. I couldn't get much sense of a story-line but saw one review which said story was beside the point. Had your read the comic book(s)?

g_so: I hadn't. No real interest. I did like Frank Miller's work on the Daredevil comics.

cc_sdr633: I just wondered if the movie was trying to be true to the comic book to the detriment of the movie.

g_so: I've heard the movie is very faithful to the comics.

mysdawg2003: Just checked on the boys....the three of them sitting under the tree having a coke. Not much progress on pulling the weeds or cutting the grass....

cc_sdr633: Perhaps they discovered a body and are trying to figure out how to proceed. Aldo, do you ever ask the boys for ideas? I did get a really good one once while I was mowing.

mysdawg2003: There are several teenage girls in the neighborhood...maybe its one of them. In that case I'm sure they don't know how to proceed...LOL

cc_sdr633: Ha

g_so: The hour is up. Sorry for the low turnout. Great chatting with you, Stephen.

mysdawg2003: I enjoyed the chat too. Gerald where is the rest of the crew?

cc_sdr633: Sorry I wasn't more of a draw but I still enjoyed the chance to chat. Thanks for asking.

g_so: I can hang out for a while if you can, see if anyone else shows.

mysdawg2003: I'm here

cc_sdr633: I'm good.

g_so: I don't know, Aldo. Dave White is playing basketball.

cc_sdr633: Gerald, do you get much feedback from readers?

g_so: Not much, no.

cc_sdr633: You said, "you have to submit a piece and see what others think of it." But I feel I never really know what people think of it.

g_so: By "others," I mainly meant editors. [Editors] other than me.

cc_sdr633: Even editors rarely comment. Really, I expected much more of a dialogue about the actual written word but I rarely see that. I think Bob [Tinsley]'s blog is doing a real service. And while I know DetecToday focuses on a specific story, I've never seemed to get organized enough.

g_so: Yes. Sorry, had to step away. Our garage door opener is intermittently cutting out. Thought we had it fixed this morning, but here we are again.

cc_sdr633: Not opening, not closing, or stopping midway?

g_so: There seems to be no power going to the opener when we hit the button. I'm going to see what I can piece together. Thanks again, Stephen and Aldo.

cc_sdr633: Good luck.

g_so: Thanks. Bye.

cc_sdr633: Bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Derringer Finalist Hilde Vandermeeren

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

The 2017 Derringers were open to works whose first English translations were published in 2016. Belgian children's, YA, and adult psychological thriller author Hilde Vandermeeren's Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words) contender "The Lighthouse" was translated from Flemish by the SMFS's Josh Pachter, and appeared in the March/April 2016 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. Josh also kindly translated this interview to and from Flemish.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a lighthouse on an island far from shore, a man suspects that his wife is trying to kill him. (20 words!)

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writi…

2017 Derringer Finalist O'Neil De Noux

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

A 2009 Derringer winner, O'Neil De Noux is a five-time finalist after his stories contending in two categories this year, for Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words), published in Flash Bang Mysteries, "A Just Reward", and for Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words), published in The Strand Magazine, "Effect on Men".

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"A Just Reward": A man tries to pull a fast one to collect a reward. He underestimates the police and there’s a reckoning.

“Effect on Men”: Patricia has "this effect on men" and draws a private detective into a murder plot, leaving him with a hard choice.

What were the most d…

Patricia Abbott talks CONCRETE ANGEL

On sale June 9 from Polis books:

Evil doesn’t always live next door. Sometimes it lives right in your own home.

Eve Moran has always wanted “things,” her powers of seduction impossible to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. And over the course of her life, she has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping whatever such things catch her eye, whether they are jewelry, money, or men. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and is even willing to take a life, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her and depend on her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her family’s blood. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan, begins to prove useful to her mother, and Christine sees a horrific pattern repeating itself, that she finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

An atmosphe…