Skip to main content

Robert W. Tinsley



Sunday, February 13, 2005

Participants

btinsley785
: Robert W. Tinsley
dpwhite237: Dave White
g_so: Gerald So
megan_powell_net: Megan Powell
mysdawg2003: Aldo Calcagno

btinsley785: Made it!

g_so: Hello, Bob.

btinsley785: Hi, all.

mysdawg2003: Hey Bob

g_so: Anyone with a question for Bob?

dpwhite237: Ooh, do I have to type ?

mysdawg2003: ?

dpwhite237: ? CURSES.

mysdawg2003: ha ha

g_so: yes, go aldo.

mysdawg2003: So Bob, not that you got us hooked, how do we get others to join the revolution, and how is the weather?

btinsley785: Talk to everyone you can about it. Become an evangelist, to use a marketing term. and the weather is pretty good. Lower fifties, clear sky.

g_so: go ahead, Dave.

dpwhite237: I've noticed you've used Jack Brady in most--if not all--of your short stories. Why is that? Any plans for a standalone?

mysdawg2003: good question, Dave

btinsley785: I've done one standalone. Megan published it a couple of years ago. I just feel more comfortable with Brady right now. I've written another couple of stories without Brady, but haven't been able to place them.

dpwhite237: ah cool. I just like how you fit Brady into different types of stories... real dark or then humorous like Moby Dick

g_so: Is Brady based on anyone?

btinsley785: Brady isn't based on anyone, really. I just thought up someone that I might like to know. I've always been told I have a strange, low-key sense of humor.

dpwhite237: ?

g_so: I see. What made you decide on his SEAL background? Hi, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Hello.

btinsley785: I wanted someone with a history. Someone that could take care of himself in any situation because he already had. Hey, Megan.

dpwhite237: Any plans for a Brady novel, or are you solely focused on shorts the promotion of short fiction?

btinsley785: I've got two chapters of a novel written along with a lot of background information and character studies. Of course I've had that for two years now. I keep thinking I'm going to go back to it.

dpwhite237: cool

mysdawg2003: Time always seems to be the problem

btinsley785: It's not time, it's fear.

dpwhite237: ?

dpwhite237: What're you working on now, Bob?

btinsley785: I'm working on a bank robbery story to submit to Dave Z. Brady is following a guy because his wife thinks he's having an affair. Brady follows him to a bank, then follows him away from the bank not knowing he just robbed it.

dpwhite237: nice...

g_so: There goes my story idea.

btinsley785: Hey, ya snooze ya lose.

g_so: Indeed. ?

btinsley785: Megan and I have had a pretty good discussion in the comment on my site.

g_so: Have you ever done a Brady story without mention of Kathleen?

dpwhite237: Hey Megan.

btinsley785: Kathleen has had a pretty small part in a lot of my stories, often no more than a mention, but I don't think I've ever not mentioned her. I'm beginning to enjoy giving her a larger part.

g_so: I see.

megan_powell_net: Hey again.

g_so: I was wondering about Brady's PI business before he hired Kathleen.

dpwhite237: OT question, sort of, how long was your "Grasshopper" audio, Bob?

btinsley785: Grasshopper was 14 minutes almost exactly. I haven't explored Brady pre-Kathleen yet.

dpwhite237: So, Bob, for people who haven't had a chance to read it yet, tell us about For Felina...

btinsley785: "Felina" is an homage to Marty Robbins and his song "El Paso". The original followed the events of the song a little more closely. Then Gerald and Kevin beat me about the head and shoulders, making it a better story. I used the journal as a means of eliciting sympathy for someone you never meet directly in the story.

dpwhite237: Cool. I haven't gotten a chance to get to it yet, but I will and let you know what I think.

btinsley785: All thoughts gratefully accepted.

g_so: ?

g_so: Favorite authors/influences, Bob?

btinsley785: The usual suspects. Chandler, Parker, Donald Hamilton, John D. MacDonald, Carter Brown.

g_so: Brady does have a McGee feel to him.

btinsley785: The cover of "Little Girl Lost" reminds me of the old Carter Brown covers. McGee was a big influence. I was very attached to that guy.

g_so: Have you heard of the John Caine books by Charles Knief, Bob?

btinsley785: No. Not familiar.

g_so: similar ex-SEAL character set in Hawaii, also influenced by MacDonald. There were four books.

dpwhite237: ?

btinsley785: When were they published.

g_so: Late 90s, I believe. There's a listing at Thrilling. Go ahead, Dave.

dpwhite237: Bob, what's your favorite of the Brady tales?

btinsley785: The one Gerald is noodling around with now. A close second is "No Goodbye" published by Handheld Crime. "Moby Dick In A Can" is pretty high up there too.

dpwhite237: How do you write? Outline? Just start writing?

btinsley785: I outline some. Some I just get an idea and go with it. Moby was one of the latter. While the ones I outline seem to go faster in the writing, I'm not quite as satisfied with them for some reason.

megan_powell_net: ?

g_so: Go ahead, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Do you have any sort of overarching timeline/character arc/plot threads in mind, or do you approach each story as a self-contained thing. (Obviously not completely self-contained, since you've got internal consistency between stories...)

btinsley785: I think I've got some kind of overall arc rattling around in my subconscious. One of the villians in a story that is now out making the rounds also makes an appearance in my Brady novel, or will if I ever finish the damn thing. Each story is a piece that fits in the arc. Being an engineer, I tend to think linearly.

g_so: I like continuity.

megan_powell_net: Continuity's good. Are you planning to do backfill stories, or just work the info in as the chronology progresses?

btinsley785: I'm probably going to do backfill stories as they occur to me, but I don't have a plan for them. Continuity is one of the things I liked about Hamilton's Matt Helm books and JDM's Travis McGee series. Joe Konrath could turn out to be one of my new favorite authors.

g_so: Hmm.

g_so: ?

g_so: How do you go about choosing which stories to review for The Short Of It?

megan_powell_net: I thought slots went to the highest bidder.

g_so: :)

btinsley785: I try to pay more attention to the on-line zines and fill in with AHMM, EQMM and anthologies, though I'm so disorganized there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. I try to review every story whether I like it or not. I forget. What did I post today? Was it Schofield or Lambe?

megan_powell_net: Lambe. Check's in the mail.

btinsley785: I didn't like Schofield's story and I say so. Tomorrow.

mysdawg2003: damn I have no chance at all, lol

dpwhite237: uh oh... okay folks, i gotta run... Bob, keep up the good work.

megan_powell_net: Adios.

g_so: bye, dave.

btinsley785: Thanks, see ya, Dave.

dpwhite237: definitely.

g_so: did you have a question, Aldo?

btinsley785: Aldo, I told you I liked your story. You've got a good feel for how to tell a story. Just need practice.

dpwhite237: all right, well I'll hang out until this file uploads.

dpwhite237: Yeah Aldo, you should see what Bob says to me about these stories.

btinsley785: Dial up, huh?

dpwhite237: No, cable modem, just... I don't know.

g_so: It might be a huge file.

btinsley785: Or a lot of traffic.

dpwhite237: Yeah, I think that's what it is. All of the above.

mysdawg2003: I'm bouncing back and forth here moderating the kids (12) playing outside

megan_powell_net: And I thought I had trouble multi-tasking lots of windows on a small screen.

btinsley785: YOU'VE GOT 12 KIDS????

g_so: Six of his own.

megan_powell_net: Yeah, what he said. You know, with today's technology.... Okay, six is...six at least fits in a minivan.

btinsley785: A big minivan.

g_so: A van.

btinsley785: Six kids in a confined space is at least equal to 12 in a yard. So, Megan, have you thought about posting audio?

megan_powell_net: I've thought about it, just haven't had the time to futz around. Scattered around the house I probably have everything I need--and if not I can just swipe a musician friend's iRiver. I vaguely meant to do something this weekend, but that didn't happen.

g_so: Good luck, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Are you still looking for stories for the spec antho? Because I'd definitely be interested, assuming I get the chance to sit down and make the recording this millennium.

btinsley785: Yeah, I'm still interested. I've only had a couple of people express interest so far.

mysdawg2003: cool

g_so: What are the specifics again, Bob?

btinsley785: I'm looking for stories in the 3,000 word range. Anything criminous. I figure to wind up with about 6 or 8 stories.

g_so: Thanks, Bob. Great answers.

megan_powell_net: Yes, thanks for coming Bob, and thanks again for herding cats, Gerald.

btinsley785: You're welcome. It's been fun. I do need to go. I really ought to get some real writing done this weekend.

g_so: All right. See you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Derringer Finalist Hilde Vandermeeren

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

The 2017 Derringers were open to works whose first English translations were published in 2016. Belgian children's, YA, and adult psychological thriller author Hilde Vandermeeren's Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words) contender "The Lighthouse" was translated from Flemish by the SMFS's Josh Pachter, and appeared in the March/April 2016 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. Josh also kindly translated this interview to and from Flemish.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a lighthouse on an island far from shore, a man suspects that his wife is trying to kill him. (20 words!)

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writi…

Patricia Abbott talks CONCRETE ANGEL

On sale June 9 from Polis books:

Evil doesn’t always live next door. Sometimes it lives right in your own home.

Eve Moran has always wanted “things,” her powers of seduction impossible to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. And over the course of her life, she has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping whatever such things catch her eye, whether they are jewelry, money, or men. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and is even willing to take a life, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her and depend on her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her family’s blood. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan, begins to prove useful to her mother, and Christine sees a horrific pattern repeating itself, that she finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

An atmosphe…

2017 Derringer Finalist O'Neil De Noux

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

A 2009 Derringer winner, O'Neil De Noux is a five-time finalist after his stories contending in two categories this year, for Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words), published in Flash Bang Mysteries, "A Just Reward", and for Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words), published in The Strand Magazine, "Effect on Men".

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"A Just Reward": A man tries to pull a fast one to collect a reward. He underestimates the police and there’s a reckoning.

“Effect on Men”: Patricia has "this effect on men" and draws a private detective into a murder plot, leaving him with a hard choice.

What were the most d…