Skip to main content

Robert W. Tinsley



Sunday, February 13, 2005

Participants

btinsley785
: Robert W. Tinsley
dpwhite237: Dave White
g_so: Gerald So
megan_powell_net: Megan Powell
mysdawg2003: Aldo Calcagno

btinsley785: Made it!

g_so: Hello, Bob.

btinsley785: Hi, all.

mysdawg2003: Hey Bob

g_so: Anyone with a question for Bob?

dpwhite237: Ooh, do I have to type ?

mysdawg2003: ?

dpwhite237: ? CURSES.

mysdawg2003: ha ha

g_so: yes, go aldo.

mysdawg2003: So Bob, not that you got us hooked, how do we get others to join the revolution, and how is the weather?

btinsley785: Talk to everyone you can about it. Become an evangelist, to use a marketing term. and the weather is pretty good. Lower fifties, clear sky.

g_so: go ahead, Dave.

dpwhite237: I've noticed you've used Jack Brady in most--if not all--of your short stories. Why is that? Any plans for a standalone?

mysdawg2003: good question, Dave

btinsley785: I've done one standalone. Megan published it a couple of years ago. I just feel more comfortable with Brady right now. I've written another couple of stories without Brady, but haven't been able to place them.

dpwhite237: ah cool. I just like how you fit Brady into different types of stories... real dark or then humorous like Moby Dick

g_so: Is Brady based on anyone?

btinsley785: Brady isn't based on anyone, really. I just thought up someone that I might like to know. I've always been told I have a strange, low-key sense of humor.

dpwhite237: ?

g_so: I see. What made you decide on his SEAL background? Hi, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Hello.

btinsley785: I wanted someone with a history. Someone that could take care of himself in any situation because he already had. Hey, Megan.

dpwhite237: Any plans for a Brady novel, or are you solely focused on shorts the promotion of short fiction?

btinsley785: I've got two chapters of a novel written along with a lot of background information and character studies. Of course I've had that for two years now. I keep thinking I'm going to go back to it.

dpwhite237: cool

mysdawg2003: Time always seems to be the problem

btinsley785: It's not time, it's fear.

dpwhite237: ?

dpwhite237: What're you working on now, Bob?

btinsley785: I'm working on a bank robbery story to submit to Dave Z. Brady is following a guy because his wife thinks he's having an affair. Brady follows him to a bank, then follows him away from the bank not knowing he just robbed it.

dpwhite237: nice...

g_so: There goes my story idea.

btinsley785: Hey, ya snooze ya lose.

g_so: Indeed. ?

btinsley785: Megan and I have had a pretty good discussion in the comment on my site.

g_so: Have you ever done a Brady story without mention of Kathleen?

dpwhite237: Hey Megan.

btinsley785: Kathleen has had a pretty small part in a lot of my stories, often no more than a mention, but I don't think I've ever not mentioned her. I'm beginning to enjoy giving her a larger part.

g_so: I see.

megan_powell_net: Hey again.

g_so: I was wondering about Brady's PI business before he hired Kathleen.

dpwhite237: OT question, sort of, how long was your "Grasshopper" audio, Bob?

btinsley785: Grasshopper was 14 minutes almost exactly. I haven't explored Brady pre-Kathleen yet.

dpwhite237: So, Bob, for people who haven't had a chance to read it yet, tell us about For Felina...

btinsley785: "Felina" is an homage to Marty Robbins and his song "El Paso". The original followed the events of the song a little more closely. Then Gerald and Kevin beat me about the head and shoulders, making it a better story. I used the journal as a means of eliciting sympathy for someone you never meet directly in the story.

dpwhite237: Cool. I haven't gotten a chance to get to it yet, but I will and let you know what I think.

btinsley785: All thoughts gratefully accepted.

g_so: ?

g_so: Favorite authors/influences, Bob?

btinsley785: The usual suspects. Chandler, Parker, Donald Hamilton, John D. MacDonald, Carter Brown.

g_so: Brady does have a McGee feel to him.

btinsley785: The cover of "Little Girl Lost" reminds me of the old Carter Brown covers. McGee was a big influence. I was very attached to that guy.

g_so: Have you heard of the John Caine books by Charles Knief, Bob?

btinsley785: No. Not familiar.

g_so: similar ex-SEAL character set in Hawaii, also influenced by MacDonald. There were four books.

dpwhite237: ?

btinsley785: When were they published.

g_so: Late 90s, I believe. There's a listing at Thrilling. Go ahead, Dave.

dpwhite237: Bob, what's your favorite of the Brady tales?

btinsley785: The one Gerald is noodling around with now. A close second is "No Goodbye" published by Handheld Crime. "Moby Dick In A Can" is pretty high up there too.

dpwhite237: How do you write? Outline? Just start writing?

btinsley785: I outline some. Some I just get an idea and go with it. Moby was one of the latter. While the ones I outline seem to go faster in the writing, I'm not quite as satisfied with them for some reason.

megan_powell_net: ?

g_so: Go ahead, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Do you have any sort of overarching timeline/character arc/plot threads in mind, or do you approach each story as a self-contained thing. (Obviously not completely self-contained, since you've got internal consistency between stories...)

btinsley785: I think I've got some kind of overall arc rattling around in my subconscious. One of the villians in a story that is now out making the rounds also makes an appearance in my Brady novel, or will if I ever finish the damn thing. Each story is a piece that fits in the arc. Being an engineer, I tend to think linearly.

g_so: I like continuity.

megan_powell_net: Continuity's good. Are you planning to do backfill stories, or just work the info in as the chronology progresses?

btinsley785: I'm probably going to do backfill stories as they occur to me, but I don't have a plan for them. Continuity is one of the things I liked about Hamilton's Matt Helm books and JDM's Travis McGee series. Joe Konrath could turn out to be one of my new favorite authors.

g_so: Hmm.

g_so: ?

g_so: How do you go about choosing which stories to review for The Short Of It?

megan_powell_net: I thought slots went to the highest bidder.

g_so: :)

btinsley785: I try to pay more attention to the on-line zines and fill in with AHMM, EQMM and anthologies, though I'm so disorganized there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. I try to review every story whether I like it or not. I forget. What did I post today? Was it Schofield or Lambe?

megan_powell_net: Lambe. Check's in the mail.

btinsley785: I didn't like Schofield's story and I say so. Tomorrow.

mysdawg2003: damn I have no chance at all, lol

dpwhite237: uh oh... okay folks, i gotta run... Bob, keep up the good work.

megan_powell_net: Adios.

g_so: bye, dave.

btinsley785: Thanks, see ya, Dave.

dpwhite237: definitely.

g_so: did you have a question, Aldo?

btinsley785: Aldo, I told you I liked your story. You've got a good feel for how to tell a story. Just need practice.

dpwhite237: all right, well I'll hang out until this file uploads.

dpwhite237: Yeah Aldo, you should see what Bob says to me about these stories.

btinsley785: Dial up, huh?

dpwhite237: No, cable modem, just... I don't know.

g_so: It might be a huge file.

btinsley785: Or a lot of traffic.

dpwhite237: Yeah, I think that's what it is. All of the above.

mysdawg2003: I'm bouncing back and forth here moderating the kids (12) playing outside

megan_powell_net: And I thought I had trouble multi-tasking lots of windows on a small screen.

btinsley785: YOU'VE GOT 12 KIDS????

g_so: Six of his own.

megan_powell_net: Yeah, what he said. You know, with today's technology.... Okay, six is...six at least fits in a minivan.

btinsley785: A big minivan.

g_so: A van.

btinsley785: Six kids in a confined space is at least equal to 12 in a yard. So, Megan, have you thought about posting audio?

megan_powell_net: I've thought about it, just haven't had the time to futz around. Scattered around the house I probably have everything I need--and if not I can just swipe a musician friend's iRiver. I vaguely meant to do something this weekend, but that didn't happen.

g_so: Good luck, Megan.

megan_powell_net: Are you still looking for stories for the spec antho? Because I'd definitely be interested, assuming I get the chance to sit down and make the recording this millennium.

btinsley785: Yeah, I'm still interested. I've only had a couple of people express interest so far.

mysdawg2003: cool

g_so: What are the specifics again, Bob?

btinsley785: I'm looking for stories in the 3,000 word range. Anything criminous. I figure to wind up with about 6 or 8 stories.

g_so: Thanks, Bob. Great answers.

megan_powell_net: Yes, thanks for coming Bob, and thanks again for herding cats, Gerald.

btinsley785: You're welcome. It's been fun. I do need to go. I really ought to get some real writing done this weekend.

g_so: All right. See you.

Comments