Skip to main content

Rob Kantner



Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Participants


g_so: Gerald So
jamesrwinter: Jim Winter
naperkid: Paul Tarantino
robkantner1213: Rob Kantner


robkantner1213: Evening

g_so: Hi, Rob.

g_so: No one's here yet, but I do have some questions sent in by Mark Luebker, who sends his regards.

robkantner1213: OK. Mark's a good guy.

g_so: First question: When's the novel coming out? Any more short stories in the pipeline? I thought that Ben was taking a more introspective, even spiritual turn in the last few books--would Rob want to commment on that?

robkantner1213: On the novel, no idea. I have no publisher at this point.

robkantner1213: Another Perkins short is appearing in the June 06 AHMM.

robkantner1213: (at least that's what they tell me)

robkantner1213: As to the query about Ben being spiritual. . .dunno about that. . .

robkantner1213: Introspective, sure. Having a daughter has had a more profound effect on him than he realizes.

robkantner1213: Guess he's growing up a little bit. :)

robkantner1213: Hi Paul

naperkid: Hi Guys

g_so: You're the first arrival, so go ahead with a question, Paul :)

naperkid: Of course I want to know when the new Ben Perkins novel will be available.

robkantner1213: No idea at this point. . . #1 I haven't finished it yet (lol). #2 I have no publisher at this point either.

g_so: Here's another question from Mark: Is Ben still aging? And if so, how old is he now? Or has he gone into a Spenser-like time warp?

robkantner1213: I suppose it's similar to the Spenser time warp. In the book I'm doing now (My Eyes Keep Me In Trouble) a year has passed since Concrete Hero.

robkantner1213: But it's the present day.

robkantner1213: Go figure.

robkantner1213: I just did a scene yesterday where he chases someone on foot. . .and gets a bit breathless.

robkantner1213: That would not have happened prior to this book.

naperkid: Is Ben still with Raeanne?

robkantner1213: Yes, for the moment.

robkantner1213: Long stretch of monogamy for the guy :)

naperkid: If you have the time, who or what are you reading for pleasure?

robkantner1213: I read mostly nonfiction. History. Right now I'm reading Conspiracy of Fools (about the Enron scandal). In fiction I gravitate toward John Sandford, Robert B. Parker, some of the other PI players, Joan Hess, Marcia Muller. Smattering of things.

g_so: I'm a Sandford fan, too, though I'm behind on the Prey series. Davenport is a nicely nuanced character.

robkantner1213: I think it's about as consistently good a series as I've ever read. Yet Sandford develops Davenport also.

robkantner1213: I think it's exceptional to have produced as many books as he has, at such a consistently high level.

robkantner1213: I like his Kidd books too.

g_so: Yes, I discovered him with The Empress File.

robkantner1213: That's interesting. . .that was the first one I read and I didn't particularly care for it.

robkantner1213: It was the subsequent titles (which escape me) that really got me going. Just plain fun stuff and well done.

g_so: I think Davenport is a more realistic character than Kidd, if that makes sense.

g_so: Sort of the way Parker's Jesse Stone is more down-to-earth than Spenser.

robkantner1213: Definitely. Kidd's in more of a fantasy world (to my way of thinking). . .and in some ways a darker world too.

robkantner1213: Jesse Stone is okay. I've read 1 or 2 of them. I can't warm up to Sunny Randall.

g_so: On the topic of Ben's relationships, Mark asks: Carole was kinda being moved off-stage in the last few stories--is she "the one" for Ben (with his daughter) or is that pretty much over?

robkantner1213: Carole will always be part of Ben's life, by virtue of their parenthood, and also because they each have needs the other is willing to fill. But I don't see any rekindling going on, though the sexual magnetism will always be there. . . it's a fun aspect to present in their relationship. She's a district court judge now, by the way.

naperkid: Isn't she with someone else now?

robkantner1213: She was with Buck Longstreth, but that's fizzled. Ben's not sure what her situation is right now.

robkantner1213: Carole works at several levels at once.

naperkid: Any plans to put the rest of the short stories together in a book?

robkantner1213: No plans now. I'd like to sometime. The current one was fun to put together.

g_so: I've been reading the stories in TROUBLE IS WHAT I DO, and I like how interconnected they are. You really get a chance to know Ben's world, which seems quite a feat in short stories.

g_so: I'm a great fan of the short story myself.

robkantner1213: Thank you. It's something I've always worked hard on.

robkantner1213: Each story feels to me like a square on a checkerboard.

naperkid: I got hooked on them after finishing all the novels and I needed a"Perkins" fix.

g_so: that's a nice analogy, the checkerboard.

robkantner1213: Best I can think of. . . . I have never had a long term plan or anything. They just kind of come along. Plus I did other nonPerkins in between, and the books also. The story coming out in AHMM in June actually takes place AFTER the novel I'm doing now. . . it's like, that river has flowed on even though I'm not done with the book yet.

g_so: I was able to find several of the novels, but I know I'm missing some.

robkantner1213: I know it's tough. They've been out of print for a long time.

g_so: Do you prefer short stories to novels or vice versa?

robkantner1213: That's a difficult question. . . .

robkantner1213: Each has its own appeal. The short story requires more discipline and rigor and I get a sense of satisfaction out of pulling one off because everything has to work right. . . .

robkantner1213: Not every idea is a short story idea, nor is just any idea a book idea. They are different entities.

robkantner1213: A novel is a larger and longer landscape and allows for just a BIT more latitude in character and scene development.

g_so: I know what you mean. I'd like to get better at recognizing novel ideas.

robkantner1213: I don't think my delivery is radically different between books and short stories -- I tend to keep the whip cracking --

robkantner1213: With a novel I basically have a central crime / investigation / solution thread that I could balloon out to full novel length. . .but I keep it relatively spare so I can have a subplot or two that involves a theme or situation competing for the protagonist's attention.

robkantner1213: And bring the whole thing in under 100K words. And THAT gets tougher each time (lol).

g_so: :)

g_so: Mark asks, "Seems like Ben in the books resembled Robert Urich's Spenser on TV--even the guy on the cover of the paperbacks back in the late eighties and early nineties...The car he drove...All of it very Urich/Spenser. Accident or design?"

robkantner1213: Accident. I'm not positive when Urich/Spenser came out but I think I had the first couple of books out by then. The Mustang has been around since 75 when I first started fooling around with him.

g_so: Ah.

robkantner1213: As for the cover art I had no say or control over that -- some was (cough) better than others.

robkantner1213: And Ben's 71 Mustang is still purring along all these years later. . .in Detroit. A miracle!

g_so: the car gives Ben a timeless feel as well.

naperkid: You used to have some notes and updates on your website but not any more. How come?

robkantner1213: I had to put the web site updates on hold for a myriad of technical reasons. I thought it would only be for a few months but it's getting on to a year now (sigh).

robkantner1213: I hope to be up and running with it by spring.

g_so: websites in general are tough to keep updated.

robkantner1213: Yes. . .I don't have a consistent mechanism for that, plus I'm trying to learn cascading style sheets.

robkantner1213: Getting too old for this! :)

g_so: I like the ease of blogs, but at times they feel too much like diaries.

robkantner1213: I agree. Many blogs are (to me) just tedious. I don't like enduring tedium any more than I like inflicting it on readers.

robkantner1213: Of course I have a notoriously short attention span. :)

g_so: same here. :)

g_so: Final question from Mark: "Has Kantner ever thought of spinning off Dick Dennehy or Elvin Dance into solo stories...?"

robkantner1213: Never thought of Elvin going solo. That's an interesting idea. Dennehy has been in 3 or 4 published stories as the lead. I have had a lot of fun with him.

robkantner1213: Elvin's in the new one but Dick doesn't have a big role.

robkantner1213: I appreciate Mark sending questions.

robkantner1213: Gerald, you're on the East Coast, right?

g_so: Yes, New York.

robkantner1213: Hey Jim

jamesrwinter: Hello, Rob, Gerald. And...?

g_so: Paul Tarantino.

jamesrwinter: Hello, Paul.

g_so: Any questions for Rob, Jim?

robkantner1213: What's shaking, Jim?

jamesrwinter: Not much. Working on revs for last summer's project.

robkantner1213: Ain'tyou got fun?? lol

jamesrwinter: How about yourself?

robkantner1213: Working on the new Perkins. . .my favorite 2 hours of the day. :)

jamesrwinter: Short or novel?

robkantner1213: Novel.

jamesrwinter: Cool!

robkantner1213: I'm working up another short, also. . .there's a Detroit Noir collection in the works I've been asked to contribute to.

g_so: what time of the day do you write, Rob?

robkantner1213: I write first thing in the morning. 5:30 to 7:30 or so or whenever I have to head off to work.

naperkid: You mentioned a short story for AHMM. Will that be the one in the Detroit noir collection?

robkantner1213: No, Paul. . . The Noir one has to be original / never published before.

robkantner1213: AHMM bought the new one over a year ago but it's not coming out til the June issue.

robkantner1213: "The Other Women"

naperkid: Both Ben Perkins?

robkantner1213: Yes.

g_so: Have you ever imagined a Ben Perkins movie/TV show, and if so who would play Ben?

robkantner1213: Oh, man. . . .

robkantner1213: This is God's own truth, I never gave that a thought.

robkantner1213: I'm a print guy. . .I kind of live and breathe on pages. I love movies etc.,

robkantner1213: but my own expression is via the printed page.

g_so: I don't think I could [imagine a movie] for one of my characters, either.

robkantner1213: Right, Gerald.

robkantner1213: I have a feeling if something like that ever happened, I would probably creatively and mentally have to divorce whatever was done from what I do.

robkantner1213: And anyway, aside from one really super-drunk guy one night a decade ago on the phone, I've never had anybody propose such a thing. :)

g_so: :)

g_so: I do see some similarity between Perkins and Jim Rockford, but not so much I picture Garner as Ben. Same with anybody who's played Spenser or Hawk. Didn't match my mental image.

robkantner1213: Yes, I agree completely.

robkantner1213: I had difficulties buying Robert Urich as Spenser.

robkantner1213: But that was a LONG time ago.

g_so: Urich had a clean-cut image that I think rubbed off on Spenser, making it a strange portrayal.

robkantner1213: Uh huh. He was a good actor but just a bit too smooth maybe.

g_so: It's been just over an hour. Should we wrap up? Further questions, anyone?

robkantner1213: It's been good, guys. Thanks for hosting, Gerald. I really appreciate it.

naperkid: Thanks Rob. Keep up the good work.

robkantner1213: Thanks for the support, Paul.

g_so: My pleasure, Rob. Great to chat with you.

robkantner1213: Same here, Gerald. You guys stay warm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Derringer Finalist Hilde Vandermeeren

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

The 2017 Derringers were open to works whose first English translations were published in 2016. Belgian children's, YA, and adult psychological thriller author Hilde Vandermeeren's Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words) contender "The Lighthouse" was translated from Flemish by the SMFS's Josh Pachter, and appeared in the March/April 2016 Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. Josh also kindly translated this interview to and from Flemish.


Describe your story in up to 20 words.

In a lighthouse on an island far from shore, a man suspects that his wife is trying to kill him. (20 words!)

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writi…

Patricia Abbott talks CONCRETE ANGEL

On sale June 9 from Polis books:

Evil doesn’t always live next door. Sometimes it lives right in your own home.

Eve Moran has always wanted “things,” her powers of seduction impossible to resist for those who come in contact with her toxic allure. And over the course of her life, she has proven both inventive and tenacious in getting and keeping whatever such things catch her eye, whether they are jewelry, money, or men. Eve lies, steals, cheats, swindles, and is even willing to take a life, paying little heed to the cost of her actions on those who love her and depend on her. Her daughter, Christine, compelled by love, dependency, and circumstance, is caught up in her mother’s deceptions, unwilling to accept the viciousness that runs in her family’s blood. It’s only when Christine’s three-year old brother, Ryan, begins to prove useful to her mother, and Christine sees a horrific pattern repeating itself, that she finds the courage and means to bring an end to Eve’s tyranny.

An atmosphe…

2017 Derringer Finalist O'Neil De Noux

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 1, the Society announced the finalists for its 2017 Derringer Awards, and I had the idea to promote the finalists with interviews.

A 2009 Derringer winner, O'Neil De Noux is a five-time finalist after his stories contending in two categories this year, for Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words), published in Flash Bang Mysteries, "A Just Reward", and for Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words), published in The Strand Magazine, "Effect on Men".

Describe your stories in up to 20 words each.

"A Just Reward": A man tries to pull a fast one to collect a reward. He underestimates the police and there’s a reckoning.

“Effect on Men”: Patricia has "this effect on men" and draws a private detective into a murder plot, leaving him with a hard choice.

What were the most d…