Skip to main content

Jim Winter talks GYPSY'S KISS

Creator of Cleveland P.I. Nick Kepler, Jim Winter returns to talk about Kepler's final case:

Gerald So: What went into your decision to end the Kepler series with Gypsy's Kiss?

Jim Winter: Two things. First, the character really wasn't talking to me anymore. Since I'd released all the completed novels, I didn't want to just leave Nick hanging at the end of Bad Religion. Second, I'd written a short story called "Gypsy's Kiss" and wasn't happy with the result, probably because I'd rushed it. In novella format, I could make the premise, Gypsy wanting Nick to be her last client as a call girl, work. In this version, the "appointment" is supposed to consist of Nick and Gypsy splitting a bottle of wine and watching old movies. Plus it let me add several layers to Gypsy's past and visit some of Nick's early days.

Gerald: In what ways do you think Kepler has changed or grown over the course of the series?

Jim: I think Nick realizes he's being led on by his own appetites. By Gypsy's Kiss, he realizes he needs to say no to some people, needs to tell Elaine to make a decision about them as both business partners and lovers, and needs to take control of his own life. For a guy who beat the hell out of a would-be killer, Nick has been pretty passive.

Gerald: Now that Kepler's done, what's next for you?

Jim Winter
Jim: Well, the "Dick Bachman" to my Stephen King is doing science fiction. I will have a novella due out at the end of March under that name. I'm also working with an agent on a novel called Holland Bay. That one can be described as the 87th Precinct meets The Wire.

Gerald: What's the best book you've read recently?

Jim: I just started listening to Hugh Howey's Silo series on audio. I'm into Wool: Part 3 right now and itching to know what happens to Juliet after she flips the silo the bird for sending her to certain death.

Gerald: Thanks as always, Jim, and good luck.

Comments