Skip to main content

2018 Derringer Finalist Brendan DuBois

I'm a member of the Short Mystery Fiction Society, an informal association of writers, publishers, and fans that has kept mystery & crime short stories in the public eye since 1996. On April 15, the Society announced the finalists for its 2018 Derringer Awards. Members are voting to determine the winners, to be announced May 15.

In the meantime, as I did last year, I'm inviting the finalists for interviews. If you'd like to participate, email me your answers to the same following questions.

Brendan DuBois
Former newspaper reporter Brendan DuBois is the author of more than 150 short stories and more than 20 novels, including the Lewis Cole series. His Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine story "Flowing Waters", recently announced winner of EQMM's 2017 Readers Award, is up for the 2018 Best Novelette Derringer (8,001–20,000 words).

Describe your story in up to 20 words.

Jessica Pettis is a wounded woman vet suffering from PTSD, and adopts a injured dog to aid in her recovery.

What were the most difficult and most enjoyable parts of writing the story?

The most difficult part was trying to get the tone and voice of the main female character correct, especially since I was writing from a first-person point of view. The most enjoyable part of writing the story was finishing it and realizing I had completed something special.

How does it feel to be a Derringer finalist?

Wonderful. I've been a published mystery author since 1986, and this is the first time I've been nominated for a Derringer Award.

Comments